Saturday, June 02, 2007

NO MORE HIGH SCHOOL

As of last night - High School is officially over! Obviously I left it behind a great many years ago - but as of last night the baby of the family is also finished with it. And to make things even better - once August and the start of freshman orientation at Harding gets here - Ron and I will officially be empty nesters (assuming that Michelle gets her visas and leaves for Amsterdam as scheduled). Which means - we will be a "couple" again!

Maybe I'm a weird mom, but I am excited about all of this. I've been talking to and about some other parents I know who are all weepy and upset about their child leaving home. I love my kids (and step-kids, and grandkids, and foster kids) but children are supposed to grow up and leave home and parents are supposed to prepare them to do so. If I have done my job right they should want to become independent adults - making their own contributions to the world, finding their own sense of purpose, jobs, mates, etc. Of course I want to be a part of their lives and I want to know what they are doing, and I want to have time with them. And yes, I will probably tear up when Logan's car pulls away to head to college. But I actually like getting to see our relationships change. With adult children I get to be Mom still - but I also get to become friends too.

So to Logan and all the new graduates - Congratulations, and enjoy the next phase in your life. To the other parents of grads - Congratulations, you have done well - now let go.
To my husband - congrats! We did it!

3 comments:

MSS said...

Hey Mom I decided I don't really want to go to Amsterdam anymore. It's too cold. I thought I'd just hang out at the house until I start grad. school, but i was thinking I'd commute so I'll beliving at home for the next three years. Aren't you super excited that we'll get 3 more years together!

Ok, so obviously a lie because I think we'd all kill each other if I stayed much past August and I fully intended to get an apartment ASAP when I return next summer, but wouldn't it be great if I stayed Mom!

renee said...

N-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!!!!

MSS said...

Actually I'm thinking the Peace Corp:)