Sunday, June 17, 2007

"Empty" Nest? I don't think so.

Last week Ron and I had a little taste of our soon-to-be-empty nest. We found ourselves talking about what we might want to do with all the kids gone. Ron wants to do more weekend "road trips" like we used to do. He's rather impulsive and likes to just get in the car and head out. Once when we were first married we ended up way out there at the observatory in Texas (with no cash!) , found a little bed-and-breakfast which didn't take credit cards and convinced them to take a check so we could sleep somewhere besides the car (something I draw the line at). Road trips are usually one day and the only rule is - if you see anything that sounds like it might be interesting - we have to stop and check it out. Since the things Ron and I find "interesting" are often not of interest to the kids - this kind of trip hasn't happened in a while.

Then I threw him a curve. I said I'd like to try taking dance lessons together. Growing up as a good "church of christ-er" I never really learned to dance - since we weren't allowed to go to school dances. Needless to say, his initial response wasn't exactly eager. But I persevered. .. and I think I can actually get him to try. It should be good exercise, might be "romantic", and will definitely provide a lot of laughs (especially since neither of us is exactly "light-on-our-feet").
Then today - I saw an article in the newspaper about geo-caching (sp?). It might be a fun activity to add to our upcoming "road trips."

At least we know that there will be plenty to occupy us when the nest is empty.

5 comments:

MSS said...

I have this feeling I'm going to have to bail you two out of jail one of these days.

renee said...

That's a frightening thought - since with what you make (or should i say don't make) we'll be stuck in jail forever!

MSS said...

I said one of these days....hopefully it'll be after I've finished Grad. school...but for that comment I think I leave you there to rot :)

Here's my advice to you if that happenes. "If you're good to Momma, she'll be good to you."

Philip said...

observatory in texas? as in alpine/Fort Davis, texas?

that is a way out there.

sounds like fun... the weekend trip part... not the dancing. The only thing worse than dance class would be a pottery class. No, I take that back. A pottery class would be more exciting.

poor ron.

renee said...

Yes, Ft. Davis...and it is W-A-Y out there.
I disagree that pottery class would be more exciting - unless you're throwing it at someone. Just picture Ron and I dancing - --now, aren't you laughing so hard you're crying? How can that not be exciting?