Sunday, May 20, 2007

Vision Screening

I don't have very good vision...literally. Without my glasses I walk into doorframes, counters, people,etc. I'm constantly adjusting my glasses - especially since I went to bi-focals. It's amazing how hard it can be to find the right spot to look through.

Anyway, I am also not very visually observant - I would be hard pressed to describe people I have known for years to anyone...even my own family. But today I had a chance to sit back and see my son the way others do. And I'm sorry to say that I've missed a lot. Yes, I knew he was smart, and talented, and so on...every mom knows that. But today I just watched him - as he spoke before about 200 people at his church about being an "ear" in the body of Christ. And I watched him as he played hig guitar and sang to the lord. And I listened to those who have gotten to know him at his church talk about how talented he is and how glad they are that he is there.

Sometimes I think I am too close ro my family - my son -to really see them. Too close to see beyond my expectations to who and what he is becoming. I'm used to being a "voice" in the body - singing, teaching, etc. Today I had to experience being an eye - and an ear. It was different - and not all together comfortable.

3 comments:

Paul Murphy said...

Did he sing about getting hit by the truck??? Did you give him a hug then whisper in his ear "musical instruments don't belong in church?"
Kidding of course.
Thats some sweet action

renee said...

Actually he sang "Do you know what you're getting into?"

If the largest coc (in Texas no less) can use instruments - it must be ok. lol

MSS said...

The song was "Getting into" by Reliant K