Saturday, March 31, 2007

old-style conservatism is not just an age thing

I've been reading several discussions on some C of C groups on facebook recently and I've been kind of surprized by some of the discussions. There is such diversity in the views expressed about everything from baptism - to the C of C is THE church - to vocal vs instrumental music. What has taken me somewhat aback is the number of young christians (in age, not years as a christian) that seem to hold the old hardline beliefs I grew up with. As I have gotten older I've moved away from the strict, narrow interpretations of "creed" that were the definition of the C of C. I remember having bible studies with baptist friends with the single purpose of converting them to the real church of christ. I remember the preaching against instrumental music and the visible works of the spirit (healing, speaking in tongues). I struggled with what defines a christian and christian worship. My husband and I encouraged our children to study for themselves and not just accept whatever they were taught as being "right." I came to believe that the view of christianity I grew up with was limited by people - not necessarily by God. I think I expected the struggles of the next generation - the teens and twenty-somethings of today - to have a different set of struggles. After reading some of the discussions this week it seems that we have not moved as far from my starting point as I had believed. Maybe it is a journey that every generation has to take...I don't know. I found it kind of discouraging though. If we are still engaged in separating ourselves from "those denominations" who believe in Jesus - how will we ever reach those who do not believe in Him at all?

1 comment:

MSS said...

I'm always shocked by the stupid (and I do mean stupid) arguements that people have hear over the details. In one of my classes we did this assignment where we analyzed various instructions in the Bible and determined for ourselves a. Whether they were gospel (as in unchanging truth that transcends culture) or if they were particular instructions geared towards the Biblical culture. b. Then we had to look at the things that were "gospel" and decide which of those things were so important that we would leave a church over. I think out of a list of about 50 items there were 2 or 3 that I would leave a church over. But I've always been a "bleeding heart liberal."
The other day I was shocked when I made a statment about how ridiculous it is that people fight over instrumental music and I got death glares from this girl. Now I'm in the place where I'm trying to discern which things are worth fighting over and which things I should just drop (I'll admit I'd fight over more things than I would actually leave a church over).