Thursday, March 22, 2007

Job = Work

Having a job means you are actually expected to do some work. Evidently this is a big secret and not something that everyone already knows. At least I have to think that based on the frequency with which someone gets hired who doesn't seem to know this.
Why would anyone think I would pay them for doing nothing or for not coming to work?
The only answers I have come with for that question is that a) they really believe that people should pay them just for showing up (at whatever time they choose to arrive), or b) they are so special that everyone owes them, or c) the company (or maybe just me) is too stupid to notice that they are not actually doing anything.
All I know is that today I let a "new employee" go - after only 3 weeks "on the job" during which time he had to repeatedly be asked to end phone calls during training, got up and walked out of training to "check on something", failed to get the required physical (which we pay for), was "unable to work" 2 days, and today came to work, clocked in , and THEN WENT SHOPPING! Didn't clock out, didn't tell anyone, didn't understand "what the big deal was." So just in case someone is reading this who isn't already in ono the big secret, let me say it again, "Having a job means that you are required to actually expend your own energy and work (i.e. complete tasks assigned to you by someone else)." Nuff said.

4 comments:

MSS said...

WHAT!?!?!?! They are gonna make me work when I get a job? How can this be? Surely there is an exception for me, right?

renee said...

Of course they will make an exception for you. You get to work and NOT GET PAID. IN fact, you get to find other people to pay you instead of your employer."

MSS said...

Wait! What! What kind of scam is this? Oh, wait....I think I'm destined to be a poor nomad. But it's good to know I can always come home to Mom and Dad ;)

Philip said...

Love the Nuff Said tag.