Friday, March 02, 2007

Correcting my perspective

This week I have had the truly horrible experience of a stomach virus - complete with three full days of vomiting, etc. So I go back to work yesterday and I'm still feeling wrung out but feeling virtuos because I came to work. Then today was one of those days that wakes you up and makes you see your own life and circumstances from a different perspective. The kind of eye-opener that makes me aware of how blessed God has made my life.
So anyway, I'm at work today and notice one of my employees seems to be in pain - holding her stomach, not saying much, and kind of a grimace on what I can see of her face. When I ask if she's getting sick (because of course, since I just had a virus - everyone else must be getting the same thing) she turns to face me and I see that she has a black eye and split lip. Suddenly her holding her stomach takes on a whole different meaning.
AS I talk with her I find she has been beaten up by her ex-husband, she's got LOTS of bruises, and she's scared he's going to get out of jail and come after her again. But here she is - at work - not carrying on about it, not expecting any one to help or anything to change, not even really seeing her life as different from others.
So now, I'm not feeling quite so smug about myself, and I'm more aware of how blessed my life really is, and I'm thanking God for reminding me of both these things while placing me where I can offer hope and comfort to someone else - as he has brought hope and comfort to me.

1 comment:

MSS said...

This post redeems you from all other blogging sins. Nice post!

Not sure why I actually post on here since I'm gonna call you in like 5 minutes, but whatever.

I love you and I will be home in 68 days.