Sunday, May 04, 2008

Return of the Fledglings

Over the past nine months, Ron and I have experienced an"empty nest" for the first time. While we have missed the kids, I must admit to having enjoyed the quiet house and freedom to do what we wanted when we wanted without regard to school schedules or their activities. My "stuff" - has gradually drifted into "their" rooms. (Michelle's room was turned into a combination library/ bedroom a couple of years ago - I'm still contemplating what to do with Logan's room).

Next weekend Logan will be back from his first year of college and next month Michelle returns from her lastest "missioning" in Amsterdam. I am excited that they will be home. I have missed them - but I must admit to some mixed feelings. I like using their spaces. I like knowing who will be home for dinner and at what time.

Of course, I also like getting to hug them and share things with them in real-time. As any parent will tell you - mom and dad's is always home - even when you have one of your own.

So this week I will pack up my stuff in preparation for the return of my fledglings.

3 comments:

MSS said...

Oh mom, I'll be home for dinner a lot. I've learned the value of a good, homecooked meal, that I didn't have to prepare. Should I send a list of requests now or is it too early?

renee said...

Start now - with the cost of groceries (and your eating habits) I may need to start stocking up!

Logan's only been home a few hours and is already on a mission to eat everything in sight. He's bragging that he needs 6000 calories a day. Just wait until HE hits 50!

Unknown said...

Hahaha...I have to make up for not eating so much here. I am on a mission to gain weight. Ok, so really I will be eating you out of fruits and veggies because i have barely seen those all year.