Sunday, September 09, 2007

who we are is not necessarily how others see us

After attending worship and the inaugural meeting of the empty nester's club (All Right! -Jim, that's for you.) Ron and I spent the rest of the day as volunteers parking cars for a polo game. I know nothing about polo but in exchange for volunteers to handle the parking the agency I work for will get paid / donation to go towards our building fund. (Since we are at licensed capacity in the county with a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG waiting list for services a new building is really needed. ) Anyway, here I am in shorts, t-shirt and a lovely orange vest directing people to the proper parking places. I shortly discovered that the way people addressed me - while friendly - was definitely not the way I am usually addressed. I was rather entertained by the number of times I was called Honey, Doll, Babe, etc. by people that in other circumstances would be calling me Mrs. Staggs, ma'am, etc. Their perception of who I was seemed to be very dependent on the role I was playing at the time. Don't get me wrong - no one was intentionally rude, people were pleasant/smiling/cooperative. It did make me think about how I see myself, how I see others and how they see me..I might need to be a little more careful about my assumptions about who people are in future interaction.

3 comments:

MSS said...

I've had some similar experiences here when moving from working to just hanging out. Sometimes it throws people off when I'm hanging out with someone and then the next morning I'm serving their breakfast.

Philip said...

great blog honey... I mean Mrs. Staggs ;)

renee said...

That's Mrs. Honey to you!