Friday, January 25, 2008

The Ugly American

Ok, in three weeks we head off for our first trip to Europe. I'm very excited ( and not just because I get to be with my daughter again after 7 months). But - I am a social worker and "The Ugly American" was mandatory reading in my anthropology class days .(Yes, I know that was many, many years ago!) I really want to represent myself (and my country) in a positive way so I've been thinking about ways to avoid being seen as "ugly" by the lovely dutch folks. That may be somewhat difficult with my Missouri Show Me state, Arkansas (Go Pigs, Soooooeh), Texan, and South Carolina southern background. So I need a list to help me avoid the pitfalls. This is what I've got so far:
1. Blend in. (i.e. leave the sapphire blue coat at home -per Michelle's advice).
2. Leave politics out of all conversations. (I figure that since Michelle and her Dad fight on the phone about politics already - it would be best to avoid this topic completely. Actually, as far as I'm concerned that's a topic I always prefer to avoid.)
3. Keep my voice volumn down. (I hope this doesn't apply to singing - but I will avoid singing in public places.)
4. Speak dutch. (Well, that's one item I won't be doing. As bad as I am at languages I'd probably insult someone while asking where the bathroom is. So scratch that one from the list.)

Suggestions anyone?

6 comments:

MSS said...

No dutch required. Everyone speaks English anyway. Even if you try they will be able to tell that you aren't dutch and they will reply to you in English.

A couple of things I've noticed here too.
1. Don't make small talk with people while waiting in line for something or at a restuarant. It's weird to chat with someone you don't know in the grocery line.

2. Don't talk to other peoples kids. People are weird about their kids here it seems. You get very cold looks when you wave at a little kid in the line in front of you or say hi to them. I understand the whole "stranger danger" mentality. But it seems even more extreme here.

3. Don't ask for a to go box in the restaurant. It is apparently very rude in Europe. (i just learned this one)

4. If you ask for water at the resturant you better specify tap water otherwise you are going to get an expensive bottle of mineral water. And no refills on drinks.

Philip said...

Ask why there aren't more wooden shoes?

Ask why they don't just become a part of France?

Ask why their Olympic ice skaters are their only real athletes.

Be sure to wear your "Bush Rocks" t-shirt.

renee said...

Are you trying to get me killed? And I thought I was the one social worker you liked!

MSS said...

I hear Dad bought some American flag pants. I'll be sure to walk 20 paces behind you guys to I can point and laugh with everyone else.

renee said...

Maybe I better make an exception and pack for your dad this time!

Paulo J said...

thanks for the comment on "the fishbowl". :) as for your upcoming trip, just make sure to relax, keep your eyes open, and try to blend as you're able. oh, and yes, americans do tend to have loud speaking voices--i can spot them quite easily. but most importantly, have fun!! say 'hi' to amsterdam for me!